Due to flooding in Appleby & the surrounding area The President, Susan Renshaw was unable to attend the meeting which was presided over by Pat Bevan in her stead. Pat welcomed 12 members & 1 guest, Jackie Smart, to the meeting held at Pam Cowey’s home. The Village Hall was unusable for our meeting as it was inaccessible for our members due to an extension to the stage built across the doorway to the main hall.
Apologies: Susan Renshaw, Dorothy Hayton, Valerie Cooper, June Sowerby, Barbara Askew & Helen Horn.
The Minutes of November 2015 meeting & AGM were read, agreed & signed.
- Everyone agreed that the Christmas meal at BettyAnn’s Tea Parlour at Brougham Hall on Tuesday 1st December was excellent, the food was hot & delicious, the atmosphere was cosy & festive, we were looked after very well
- Raffle tickets tonight would cost £1 per strip with the proceeds going towards our ACWW collection to ensure our annual total reached our target of £100. After sale of the tickets the total raised for ACWW during 2015 was £102.50, £18.50 being raised tonight.
- Anne Hulse will write to the Air Ambulance as we have not received any acknowledgment for our collection in October, or the monies sent separately which had been raised from the sale of refreshments.
- Several members were going to get together outside of the normal meeting to discuss an Asby entry into the Co-operative class of the Northern Show in Appleby on 12 March 2016. Six volunteers have been requested to act as stewards at the show between 12noon & 1pm, a board was circulated for this.
- Individual voting slips to choose the Resolution to go forward to NFWI AGM next year are in WI Life, they should be completed & returned to Gwen Hadrill before 22nd January so that she can notify Federation. Alternatively, an e mail or telephone call to Gwen will suffice.
- Pat is still awaiting a few biographies for our Centenary Scrapbook. She is compiling it now & it will be completed in time for it to be delivered to Federation before the end of January, it will then be displayed at the exhibition in Kendal Town Hall on 26th February.
- WI News was reviewed.
In the absence of the hostesses for the evening due to the flooding, the refreshments were provided & served by various members.
The members evening started with a Musical mystery story competition produced & conducted by Anne & Pam, the winners were Jackie Smart & Susan Walker. This was followed by a Christmas themed ‘Beetle Drive’ devised by Gwen, the winner was Susan Walker who received the prize. A pleasant, fun & cosy evening was enjoyed by everyone. Pam was presented with a small gift as thanks for inviting us to her home.
The competition for a ‘a homemade Christmas Decoration’ was won by joint winners Anne Hulse & Rachel Forrest.
The raffle was won by Annie Johnson, Gwen Hadrill, Anne Hulse & Rachel Forrest.
The meeting closed at 10pm.